Two EFL teachers that did their initial teacher training TEFL in London talk about their positive experience of the course.
Bren Brennan did his TEFL course with SGI in 2005. Ben Nicholas completed the Trinity Cert TESOL at the end of 2011. Both studied and qualified with St George International in Central London. They compare thoughts on what the TEFL course instilled in them and how they put those teaching skills to good use in lessons today.
Some Teaching basics from the TESOL training
- Low teacher talk-time – let students speak
- Error correction – vary the methods of correcting English
- Eliciting language – getting relevant new words from students or lesson materials
- Good Boardwork – make sure you elicit before writing anything on the board
- Recycling language – get students to use new language again and again
- Classroom management – grouping students differently
- Fun in the classroom – the importance of humour
- Unknown language – empathy for the students
To hear Ben talking about how he got his first TEFL jobs with SGI after the course, click here.